Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Quilt Market - Houtson International Quilt Show

Today was the first day for the 2010 Quilt Market here in Houston. This morning I took a class  - Silk Ribbon Embroidery by Machine with Susan Schrempf. Susan is the author of the book by the same name and the class was great. For those who know me well I avoid anything which needs to be sewn by hand so when I saw this class I thought I have to take it. It was a 2 hour class and very enjoyable  (and we were on a Bernina sewing machine!). Below is a sample of Susan's using this technique

After the class it was down to the show for a full day of fun.
The Quilt Market is a 3 day trade only show. Starting Saturday it goes through until Monday. Everything you can think of using in relation to sewing/quilting is available from notions to books to fabric to quilt hangers, jewellery with sewing themes, templates, threads, batting, ironing tables, sewing machines, machine storage units, die cutters, buttons, zippers, you name it is is here. On the first day of Market usually I go through the show, collect flyer's, see all the companies that we regularly place orders with to check out new products. That night I go back to the hotel and spread out of the flyer's and brochures and work my way through them, try and figure out if there is anything I want to place an order for or if I want to take a second look at a product. Then on the second day I have my list of places I must go and see - place orders, and once again I go through the show again, there is so much to see that you never take it in during the first walk through.
I also try to go to some of the book signings. I was lucky to attend and received a copy of Elly Sienkiewicz's new book - Beloved Baltimore  Album Quilts: 25 Blocks, 12 Quilts. The book features quilts from the 2010 Quilt's Inc. exhibit, Baltimore Album Review II: Baltimore's Daughters—Friends Stitch Past to Future. I have ordered the book for the shop - it will be in store soon.


This was a display for the Clothesline Fabric Club by Darlene Zimmerman for Robert Kaufman Fabrics

I am so hooked on zippers - they seem to be one of the next big thing at the show. Embellishments were also big. Below are some photos from the Ghee's stand. I have ordered some of their patterns, they will be in store soon. It is amazing how you can use the zippers as embellishments and for decoration not only on bags but also jackets.


Check out the zippers on the sleeves!

Lastly I was fortunately to finally meet up with Leesa Chandler. She was on the Superior Thread stand with a selection of her quilts. Leesa is the designer of Under the Australia Sun Fabric line for Robert Kaufman which has been very successful both in Australia and overseas. We have had several phone calls with Leesa but have never met (typical that you have to go overseas to finally meet up with other Aussies!) If you are interested in any of Leesa's patterns they are now in store and we still have the fabric collection in store, I know we have sold out of some of the bolts but will be getting them in soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment