Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Free 12" Block: Old Maid's Puzzle

This weeks free 12" block is Old Maid's Puzzle. This once again is a simple block - made up of only 2 different blocks, however it can look so different using a mixture of colours and fabrics.
From only using two fabrics you can have the positive and negative look. (I just love that brown fabric in these two blocks)

In this sample I used 3 different fabrics for the centre block and then used 2 different fabrics for the outside borders (directions for the borders) This sample will be made up as a cushion for the display in the shop.
And then lastly, I went a bit funky with my fabric choice. I had a charm pack that I didn't know what to do with and this pattern is perfect to use a charm pack in as they are 5" squares - you just have to trim them down to your desired size. I then just added two borders and sewed it up into a cushion. See how the different fabrics changes the whole look.
This week we also have included a cutting tip with the tutorial. This explains how I cut my 4 7/8" pieces.
For a computer tech question - we did have some people email me last week that they had trouble using the link - you need to allow pop-ups from our site as this link will open up in a new tab/window.
So here is the link for the pattern. If you have a picture of your finished block we love to receive them - you can email them to use at sales@berrimapatchwork.com.au or if you are following us on facebook you can just post them on there. Don't forget our giveaway which ends this Wednesday (15th June) - you got to be in it to win it, just leave a message on our giveaway blog listing to which giveaway you would like to win.
  Till next week - which is a Canadian themed block, happy sewing.

having trouble with this link then type the link below to take you to the free pattern
http://www.berrimapatchwork.com.au/freepattern/oldmaidspuzzle/


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for showing this pattern with different views of how it can be made. I am appreciating the size of these free blocks thankyou, Dianne

    ReplyDelete