Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Long Beach International Quilt Festival Day 1

Today was the first day of classes at Long Beach Quilt Show. They start classes on the Wednesday however the show doesn't open until Friday. It's a bit quiet around the convention centre but I'm sure it will be busy once the show opens. Long Beach it about a 40 minute drive from the airport. The area is a bit like Darling Harbour here in Sydney, it has all been newly developed and they are still opening up areas.

Today's Day class was with John Flynn - Double Wedding Ring.

I've always been a bit afraid to sew curves. I tried once and got so frustrated when it didn't work that I put it down and never went back to it BUT when I saw this class was on I thought I should bite the bullet and try. It's always been a quilt that I have wanted to do and being a soft curve makes it easier to sew. The class was very enjoyable. John had an amazing collection of quilts to show us. Check out his website http://www.flynnquilt.com/






This evening's class (I've been here from 9am in the morning until 9pm today!) was with Jodi Barrows who is the designer of Square in a Square. The quilt we were making was Trinity River Bridge which features in one of her new books. The class was great as she showed us all the possibilities of using this ruler and also how quick the method is! (we will be stocking the rulers in the shop soon and running classes on how to use them!) Here is a picture of the quilt (hopefully mine should look like this when I'm finished)



More tomorrow x Tamsin

No comments:

Post a Comment